I made this! - Shelf from creosote driftwood - 11 feet long!

I MADE THIS!
 


A couple of years ago, I retrieved a very long and heavy piece of lumber driftwood from the drainage canal behind my house. the canal is 15' across at the waterline. The banks are about 12' at a 45 degree angle.

It took me a couple hours to get it out of the canal and pull it up the bank. 
It's waterlogged weight was 450-500 lbs.
It took me another couple hours to put it on level bricks, on the patio area that got good sun.

I decided that It would become my new shelf-Plank.

The distress and occasional hole in this 3" thick plank, leads me to project that this plank had been roaming around the waters for 2 to 5 years before I grabbed it.
The worn ends, the distressed underside, and especially the random holes through 3" of a creosote plank!... 

shelf-Plank 11" x 2&1/8" x 11'


When the shelf-Plank started drying, I could see that it was very old creosote.
I let it dry in the sun all summer. Rain sometimes, but nothing close to be floating in water - especially a board that  had about 30% creosote remaining.

3 MONTHS LATER
The shelf-Plank is fully dry , and weighs about 250lbs. 

The shelf-Plank had Lots of splinters and other sharp edges. 

Instead of sanding first, I conducted several controlled burns - one 3 foot section at a Time - I used zippo lighter fluid.

This proved to be a substantial time-saver, as the shelf-Plank was not square at any point. It even had a couple of small holes, as driftwood often does.

After splinters & points removed by burns, I sanded the char by hand.

Then I sprayed remaining char with flat clear whatever, can't remember, paint, acrylic, something very flat.
I Sanded some stubborn parts, then stained the sanded parts dark brown.


[Center brace. Only One!] 
The center brace is screwed into the shelf-Plank at top, and middle stud at bottom. shelf-Plank was balanced and center of gravity placed directly above  Center brace.

Under-Side, supporting plank: I drilled pilot holes in the supporting plank and 3 studs, 16" center. 
Then put 2.5" screws through the supporting plank and into the studs. 
I'm pretty sure that this is also creosote that I found in the canal. 

Then, attached shelf-Plank to supporting plank: with 4" star-tipped fortified screws - 


And lastly, drilled pilot holes in shelf-Plank  and drilled from the top-down into the head of the Center brace

I installed the shelf myself. 
I can't remember how I lifted that thing!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alfonso Checa (1914-1978) Renowned Luther, Baza, Spain

FILM - The Best

slide guitar